The exam will cover up to and including Section 4.2.
The bonus problems (not to be presented during the exam) are as follows:
- Given the category of finite abelian groups, can you determine which object is which group (up to isomorphism)?
- Determine the group generated by two adjacent faces of the Rubik’s cube.
The midterm exam will be held on Wednesday, February 22, 2017.
Bill Rau it the TA for the course. He is available to answer questions about homework in the MAC 10-12 Mondays and 4-5 Mondays.
In class on January 25, we went over a large number of exercises. You will not be asked to submit solutions on February 1. Instead, read all of the exercises from Sections 2.1 (17 problems), 2.2 (14 problems), and 2.3 (26 problems).
Submit a sheet of paper stating for each problem which category each problem falls into:
- (Solved) You have solved the problem.
- (Understand) You have not solved the problem, but you are convinced that you understand exactly how to solve the problem.
- (Unsolved) You are not convinced you understand how to solve the problem.
The first day of class will be Monday January 9, 2017.
There will be no meeting on Wednesday Jan 4 and no meeting on Friday Jan 6.